I’m not sure if you guys know this, but i’m a very lucky girl. First of all, I started videobloggin, and I didn’t even know I was doing it. That was in 2005 when I got sick of being bored at parties, and Eddie and I started Geek Entertainment Television by bringing a borrowed camera to events. And second of all, because of all the vlogging, I get to meet, talk to and watch kick-ass vloggers on The Internets every day.
Then, I was at another party and wanted to dress up and go to an awards show and get my photo taken on the red carpet. We made up The Vloggies and another random party conversation turned into reality when PodTech hosted the first annual online awards show in November 2006 here in San Francisco. Vloggers arrived from other countries even – and I don’t mean just Canada (which we love dearly)! With over 600 submissions and more than 10,000 votes and a bangin’ party, The Vloggies rocked. So, we’re gonna do it again (in Los Angeles in November – more on that later!).
See how lucky I am?
And guess what? You’re lucky too! We’re launching The Vloggies Show just for you – so you have a glimpse into the world of vlogging and online video stuff, from networks to people to software to new shows and, of course, the countdown to The Second Annual Vloggies Awards 2007.
So if you didn’t have enough reasons to come to SXSW Interactive, now you have a really good one, besides that panel you’re going to sleep through: I’m gonna be a booth bunny! Me and Scoble. You’ve always wanted to see us in bunny suits. And if you made video, come by the expo floor and tell us (on camera, of course) what you do, why you do it, and how you do it. Vloggies winners are going to stop by the booth and tell us what they have been doing since they won a Vloggie – you know, “what has a Vloggie done for you lately?”
AND there’s more!
Seagate is sponsoring a contest to kick things off for us: the SXSW-Vloggies Show Challenge: we’re inviting ANY VLOGGER to show their stuff at SXSW. Open to anyone in the world, we’re inviting you to create and showcase your video coverage of SXSW 2007 on The Vloggies Show site for some cool prizes. Here’s how this works.
Two ways to submit your SXSW video:
- Come to our booth at SXSW to upload a video. If you’re at SXSW, come to The Vloggies Show booth at C18/D18. Give us your video to upload (if you don’t have a pocket drive, don’t worry, we have plenty thanks to Seagate). We’ll be there March 11 thru March 13.
- Submit Online. Any time between March 11 and April 15, you will be able to upload a video clip you produced about SXSW to The Vloggies Show site, which we’ll be launching in a couple of days.
How are winners determined?
1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will be determined by our Vloggies judges – a mix of cool people experienced in viewing and creating video will pick their top three favorites. And we’ll see which videos are most viral and watched. Winners will be announced online on April 30!
If your video wins, what do you get?
The producers of the three favorite videos are each invited to be a bigpart of the 2nd Annual Vloggies 2007 Awards Show in Los Angeles in November:
- You’ll be invited to be one of the expert judges who will determine this year’s Vloggies 2007 winners
- You’ll also get two seats and two roundtrip airfares to come to the event
Seagate, our SXSW-Vloggies Challenge sponsor, will also give you great prizes to help you store your video and digital media:
- 1st Place Prize: FreeAgent Pro 750GB
- 2nd Place Prize: Maxtor One Touch III 500GB
- 3rd Place Prize: FreeAgent Go 160GB
We’ll keep you posted of our schedule of guests at The Vloggies Show booth at SXSW, and hope to see you there!